I want to leave a mark on the world and do it creatively, and I want to have a very passionate life where I’m excited to get up in the morning every day. I don’t want to feel like, at any point, there is something I want to do, and then not do it. Everything I do is driven by a passion to do something interesting, and be really good at it.
Michael King is the perfect mix of a technologist, businessman, artist, and creative. He started in hip hop, transitioned into SEO, and now runs a digital marketing agency, IPullRank. He’s also the managing director of an eCommerce brand that brings everything full circle, which we’ll touch on in this chat. I was able to meet up with him while he was in town for an in-person interview, and he dropped tonsssssss of wisdom. Listen in to this episode to hear:
- How he got started in hip hop, bypassed gatekeepers, and put himself on tour until it became self sustaining.
- The pivotal moment in his life when he was faced with a decision regarding his career, and the transition from hip hop into the agency life.
- Inspiration vs. copying.
- Hustling and building your own brand even when you’re with a company.
- Redefining and discussing what mentors are, and who he considers a “mentor” in a non-traditional sense.
- The second business he’s managing alongside his IPullRank agency.
- What it’s like to build and manage multiple personas that all work with your personal brand.
- The successes that he attributes to where he is now.
- What feels like being on a roller-coaster while being set on fire?
Solve for Happy: Engineer Your Path to Joy – Mo Gawdat
Power by Kanye West
U Don’t Know by JAY-Z (not on Spotify)
(Subscribe to the PermissionLESS Spotify playlist for our guest’s songs!)
Show notes are to come, along with a transcript. If you enjoy this episode hit the share button, send it to a friend over text or messenger, tell someone about it… we’re a bootstrapped show, so we really appreciate all the love we can get.?
Leave a Reply